[SystemSafety] C for OSs

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 10:27:15 CEST 2019

On 16/09/2019 08:05, Gergely Buday wrote:

> What book should we base the teaching of software engineers? Where is
> the holy grail of true software engineering?

An engineer needs more than one book; here are two to start the library.

For programming (in a subset of C++, though the principles are
universal), /Elements of Programming/, by Alexander Stepanov and Paul
McJones (ISBN 0-321-63537-X)

For project planning and the management of risk and quality: /Strategies
for Software Engineering/ by Martyn Ould (ISBN 0-471-92628-0)

The first of these should quickly deter anyone who isn't willing to do
the work necessary to write programs that merit the term /engineering/.
The second should re-educate anyone who thinks that becoming an expert
programmer is enough to make them a software engineer.

Engineering is a team activity. There are roles for experts in
rquirements, risk management, human factors, application domains and all
parts of the engineering processes.  Ideally, they will all know enough
about each other's areas of expertise to be able to communicate
successfully and to know when to defer to others' judgement.

In my experience, good engineers read a lot of books.

Martyn