[SystemSafety] C for OSs

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Tue Sep 17 21:55:22 CEST 2019

> -<snip>-
> Three decades later, my university does not subscribe to any of the journals I consider relevant in
> system safety. It barely finds the resources to subscribe to what we used to think of as the
> definitive journals in computer science. It is not their fault, or my faculty's fault (although I
> used to think it was) or my fault (it's never my fault). There are just so many journals and they
> cost high-three-figure or four-figure sums of money. Or you can get them bundled for five figures.
> And they all go away soon after you decide you don't have the five-figures for this year because
> your tastes/trend-subjects have shifted.

-<snip>-

The major journal publishers are IMO, gouging the academic community for
all they can get out of it. Profit margins in journal publishing, I've
been told, are 30-40% - much higher than in book publishing.

Hasten the day when online public journals are the exclusive norm and
the rip-off artists have gone the way of the dinosaurs..

Scroodabahstudz,

Olwen