[SystemSafety] IEC 61508 and cybersecurity

David Ward david.ward at horiba-mira.com
Thu Sep 19 17:52:06 CEST 2019

ISO 26262 requires (interestingly, as part of the requirements for a safety culture) that effective communication channels with related disciplines are considered (of which cybersecurity is given as an example). There is an informative annex that describes potential interface points between functional safety and cybersecurity (written from the perspective of a safety practitioner) which (at a high level) covers the four broad phases of ISO 26262 (safety management, concept phase, development phase, post SOP phase).

There is also mention of alignment of development processes to consider safety and security in the software part of the standard.

SAE J3061 has some detailed examples of interactions between a functional safety and cybersecurity process. So far the equivalent information has not made it into the draft of ISO/SAE 21434.

Best regards

David Ward