[SystemSafety] Muddled thinking punctures plan for British ventilator

Dewi Daniels dewi.daniels at software-safety.com
Sun Apr 19 19:29:02 CEST 2020

I just read the following article in the Financial Times.

https://www.google.com/search?q=financial+times+muddled+thinking+punctures+plans+for+british+ventilator&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB812GB812&oq=financial+times+muddled+thinking+punctures+plans+for+british+ventilator
<https://www.google.com/search?q=financial+times+muddled+thinking+punctures+plans+for+british+ventilator&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB812GB812&oq=financial+times+muddled+thinking+punctures+plans+for+british+ventilator&aqs=chrome..69i57.18042j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>

I've provided the Google link since the FT article appears to be behind a
paywall.

For non-UK readers, the background is that in March 2020, the UK government
encouraged UK companies to design and manufacture ventilators to help fight
COVID-19. A number of companies responded, including Airbus, Dyson,
Rolls-Royce and several Formula One teams.

The article seems to me to be very unfair to the engineering companies
involved. If they were provided with incorrect or incomplete requirements,
it's nor surprising that their designs proved to be unsuitable. While I
accept that an alternative approach would have been to sub-contract the
manufacturing of existing designs,. I don't think that would have been a
trivial task either.

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Director | Software Safety Limited

Telephone +44 7968 837742 | Email d <ddaniels at verocel.com>
ewi.daniels at software-safety.com

Software Safety Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Company number: 9390590. Registered office: Fairfield, 30F Bratton Road,
West Ashton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 6AZ