[SystemSafety] Muddled thinking punctures plan for British ventilator

Michael J. Pont M.Pont at SafeTTy.net
Mon Apr 20 09:02:13 CEST 2020

I don’t think ‘muddled thinking’ is fair.

I suspect that the key decision makers did not – at the time - fully understand the significant technical challenges and additional risks that arise when moving from a design that supports mandatory ventilation (in which the machine is in full control; the patient is not breathing) and an ‘assisted’ mode (in which the machine has to synchronise to the breathing demands of the patient some or all of the time).

This lack of understanding is not surprising in the circumstances (given the natural desire to move very quickly).

>From my perspective, both the people involved in drawing up the specs and those involved in developing the ventilators acted with the best of intentions.

Michael.

Michael J. Pont, PhD

SafeTTy Systems Ltd