[SystemSafety] The Carmont/Stonehaven rail accident

Mike Ellims mike at ellims.xyz
Fri Aug 14 10:00:53 CEST 2020

Good morning all,

Being a climber one of the more unusual things I follow on an occasional basis is the AGU Landslide Blog by Dave Petley of University of Sheffield which discusses the accident at;

https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/2020/08/13/stonehaven-1/

One of links provided takes you to a report on geotechnical issues faced by the railways which has multiple of photos of other landslips and other deformation but didn’t lead to an accident resulting in loss of life, for example the photo on page 16 has the caption “The extensive cutting experienced multiple failures since 2000 with two resulting in train derailments”. Below that is a timeline.. the first entry is “1990’s – British Rail Soil Mechanics divisions sold off. Drainage knowledge lost”.

A photo on page 44 has the caption “Rapid failure of a soil cutting at Murthat in Scotland on the West Coast Main Line (Nov 2015). Asset showed no evidence of failure prior to slumping towards the track after a period of relatively normal rainfall. Failure identified by the driver of a passenger train travelling at 125mph”.

Landslips seem to be a significant issue.

Oh and page 13 has an example of the now ubiquitous risk matrix :-)

The report can be found at;

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Earthworks-Technical-Strategy.pdf

Which suggests and approach similar to that suggested by Brent is being followed.

Cheers.