[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Tue Dec 1 13:54:59 CET 2020

On 01/12/2020 09:28, Peter Bishop wrote:
> <snip>
>
> So the plane might be stable if the pilot does nothing (PBLs point?),
> but the *system* of (plane+pilot) might be unstable (Olwen's point?).

Yes. My point is about the overall system comprising:
airstream/airframe/pilot/flight-controls.

As regards PBL's point, I remain confused. In an earlier email he wrote:

 >> The point about aerodynamic stability, and why it must be assured on
commercial aircraft, is that if you take your hands off the controls and
shut off all the automatics, the aircraft will fly as trimmed.

Question: If a 737 MAX is on climb-out and is at a speed and AoA at
which the pitch-up tendency starts to lift the aircraft's nose, what
would happen, in the absence of any automatic controls (including MCAS),
if the pilot took his hands off the controls?

Still somewhat baffled,

Olwen