[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Dewi Daniels dewi.daniels at software-safety.com
Thu Dec 3 13:43:41 CET 2020

Olwen,

That isn't what is meant by a deep stall. A deep stall is one in which the
elevators have no authority, meaning that the pilot is unable to recover
from the stall. Aircraft designs with T-tails can be susceptible to deep
stalls. A deep stall resulted in the loss of the BAC 1-111 prototype on 22
October 1953.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Deep_Stall#:~:text=A%20Deep%20Stall%2C%20sometimes%20referred,Deep%20Stall%20might%20be%20unrecoverable
.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_BAC_One-Eleven_test_crash

In the case of the Boeing 737 MAX, if the pilot were to inadvertently stall
the aircraft, he would still be able to recover from the stall by pushing
the yoke forward or even by increasing engine thrust.

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Director | Software Safety Limited

Telephone +44 7968 837742 | Email d <ddaniels at verocel.com>
ewi.daniels at software-safety.com

Software Safety Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Company number: 9390590. Registered office: Fairfield, 30F Bratton Road,
West Ashton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 6AZ