[SystemSafety] Faults in maths proofs

Les Chambers Les at chambers.com.au
Sat Dec 12 20:35:08 CET 2020

Yes. Scepticism, the restingplace of the philosopher on a lazy day.
But one thing this discussion proves is the essential difference between the mathematician and
the engineer.
Mathematicians are edgy dudes obsessing over truth for all cases for all time for all space.
Engineers are more relaxed operating on a limited segment of that curve.
Newtonian mechanics works for us most of the time until it doesn’t. Then we go find Einstein so
we can build a GPS system.
Personally I’m relaxed as long as I have faith that, in my current scope of works, the truth I’m
working with will not crack and kill someone. Childlike, I am dependent on mathematicians for the
warmth of that feeling.
The mathematician in the slide pack announced he has given up. What a pussy. A good dose of
Stoicism is required here. Doesn’t he know that our approach to truth will be forever asymptotic,
for the truth lies at infinity. All one can do is munt on and endure.
Take the Americans. Having got rid of Trump they’re on their way, giving more credibility to
Churchill’s Lemma that Americans can be counted on to do the right thing ... after they’ve tried
everything else.
Les

--
Les Chambers