[SystemSafety] "Ripple20 vulnerabilities will haunt the IoT landscape for years to come"

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Wed Jul 1 18:47:20 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-01 18:10 , Olwen Morgan wrote:

> Not so. There is always the possibility that the verification and testing tools contain errors.

There is also the possibility that when you type a "2" on your keyboard as a test input, "5" is
actually input, and when you see a value on your screen, the value that is input to the display is
actually different from what you see. And so on.

Altran UK performs (performed; I don't know whether they still do) a daily build on the iFacts
system. They don't perform unit tests on all the modified SW elements; they generate proof
obligations and discharge them in a daily run of the prover. As I said, if you use CbyC you can
avoid unit tests. If you don't think that is possible, then I suggest you write letters to the DoT
and NATS and your local MPs to tell them that Altran is pulling the wool over their eyes.

Which you won't do, because you well know that Altran is not doing so, and that iFacts is working
and continues to work. Without extensive unit tests on modified modules.

> You use SPARK as an example but what about users of C?

It may well be that users of C have to unit test until they are blue in the face and their
fingertips have calluses. That has little to do with the point I made.

> .... I'll gladly use the best verifiers and testing tools I can get my hands on. But
> I will not depart from viewing testing as an experiment that tries to falsify the correctness
> hypothesis. Once you adhere to that view, the results of testing always have the possibility of
> contradicting the results of verification.

Every test you run has the same plethora of "what ifs" as any other process which you initiate from
your keyboard and for which you read the results from your screen. But some of those "what ifs" are
likelier than others and one puts resources where they are most effective. Driving into town to have
your kit supplier test that your keyboard is wired properly is not necessarily the best use of
resources when developing critical programs and I doubt your client would be content to pay for it.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
Styelfy Bleibgsnd