[SystemSafety] Fwd: Misunderstanding of the nature of mathematics

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Wed Jul 1 21:51:43 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-01 21:10 , Olwen Morgan wrote:

> You fail to grasp my point.

Yes.

What I said was
> If you are programming, it may be that you can avoid unit tests in favor of
> verification, if you are using CbyC techniques.

You apparently object to this assertion. I do not understand your objection.

If you object to it, it must be because you assert that you can never avoid unit tests, even if you
verify, even if you use CbyC techniques. (Because that is the contrary assertion to which you are
committed by objecting.)

I cite an example (later) of where this is done, namely in the daily builds of iFacts. If you can
"never avoid" unit testing, if follows that Altran and NATS are doing something very wrong.

I am unlikely to understand your argument any better when you cite dead white Russian
mathematicians' ideas on the relations between mathematics and physics, especially when no reputable
philosopher of mathematics gives them any credence.

Which does not mean to say that the earth doesn't sit on an elephant sitting on a tortoise, or that
it's not tortoises all the way down. It just means I don't yet see good reason to believe in the
elephant, let alone the tortoises.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
Styelfy Bleibgsnd