[SystemSafety] CbyC and unit testing

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 16:45:36 CEST 2020

On 03/07/2020 15:20, Olwen Morgan wrote:

> UT is the earliest point in the life cycle at which problems not
> detectable by CbyC can be detected by other means. Does one really
> wish, by fiat, to throw this detection opportunity away?

Human review comes even earlier.

As I said before, engineers have to take VfM decisions. The decision
about whether and what to unit test is a matter for engineering
judgement, not fiat. IMO, the decision should be clearly documented,
with the reasons for it, and reviewed as part of project QA.

Martyn