[SystemSafety] Fwd: Re: CbyC and unit testing

David Crocker dcrocker at eschertech.com
Fri Jul 3 23:17:00 CEST 2020

I've  been involved in producing CbyC tools for many years. My view:

- If the complete tool chain (CbyC tools, compilers, linkers etc.) and hardware work as intended, the software will perform according to the specification at the unit level.
- The primary function of unit testing in a CbyC process is to check that the tools and the process used to combine them are working as intended. We expect no errors to be found by unit testing. If we do find errors, there is something wrong with the tool set or the process.
- If we use the same tool set and process for enough projects, we may gain enough evidence and confidence in them to omit unit testing in future projects using the same tool set and process.