[SystemSafety] CbyC and unit testing

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Sun Jul 5 13:47:31 CEST 2020

On 04/07/2020 22:12, andy at the-ashworths.org wrote:

> In fairness a client report would usually include caveats about the
> use of the statements contained therein and would usually be part of a
> contract which from personal experience will also define how comments
> from a client can, and should, be used. Taking an email comment out of
> context and extrapolating it to be equivalent to a conclusion
> contained in a client report is a little unrealistic.

I agree but it remains the case that PBL's statement as given is so
lacking in due qualification that it *invites* misunderstanding and
glosses over things that might foreseeably go wrong. Moreover, I believe
that there are quite reasonable grounds for believing that the
unqualified statement may actually be incorrect.

It's one hell of a big claim to say that there are circumstances in
which you can omit UT. I can think of many reasons why it may be wrong
and that, in consequence, failure to retain UT as a check on the tool
chain and process is unacceptably risky.

Does anyone here honestly believe that you could successfully defend
omitting UT in an action for negligence if a system developed using CbyC
failed and killed someone as a result of a defect that could have been
detected by UT?

I'm beginning to wonder whether some in the formal methods community are
becoming as brain-dead as the lumpenengineeriat.

So far my take on this thread is:

David Crocker: Got it right.

Martyn Thomas: Terse (not a fault) but position not yet fully clear.

PBL: Has made a statement that is wide open to misinterpretation and
should not be allowed to pass without vigorous challenge.

Me: Still not quite seeing what MT is getting at and utterly staggered
at what PBL said - indeed very trenchantly so.

I have asked: What could go wrong that might bring into question the
proposition that CbyC makes UT unnecessary?

In response, I have received counter-question but so far no answers.

Olwen