[SystemSafety] CbyC and unit testing

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Mon Jul 6 20:51:25 CEST 2020

Not sure, but I've certainly been involved in the design and use of a
suite of tests that have comprehensively destroyed the claims of
developers of some CASE tools. The was the suite of 8500+ tests that
Derek Jones and I (almost entirely Derek - he actually developed the
tests in between our telephone brain-storming sessions) used to test -
pretty well to destruction - Purify and Sentinel mid 1990s.

We both strongly suspected the tools were claiming much more than they
could actually do, so I'd regard that as justifiably malicious
destructive testing. ... :-))

Indeed that was one of the origins of my approach to software testing in
general that I've cited in the CbyC/UT thread. You could fairly have
called that particular exercise "saturation-bombing testing".

Olwen