[SystemSafety] Correctness by Construction

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Fri Jul 10 12:34:05 CEST 2020

On 10/07/2020 11:24, Dewi Daniels wrote:

<snip>

>  requirements engineers only considered a single activation of MCAS.
> They do not appear to have considered the possibility that MCAS could
> activate repeatedly, eventually driving the stabilizer to a fully nose
> down position.

<snip>

This goes nicely with my example of the Wichman-Hill PRANG. The essence
of the required behaviour is a condition on repeated calls to the
routine that generates a single random number. Only iterative testing
could provide confidence in its correctness. With MCAS, iterated tests
or stress tests of the software might have revealed the problem.

Olwen