[SystemSafety] More on my contretemps with PBL ...

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Fri Jul 10 14:53:10 CEST 2020

I don't think there was such a formal specification. The routine's
required behaviour was to exhibit good statistical properties over
repeated invocations. It seems to me perfectly legitimate to regard this
as a functional black-box requirement. Though it is easily checkable
with UT, it is not, AFAI can see, one that could even be *captured* in
the SPARK tools (Rod C, please shoot me down if I'm wrong.) In fact, in
Wichmann and Hill's paper on their updated, 4-sequence, 32-bit version
of the algorithm, they state towards the end of the paper that they
could not actually produce a SPARK compliant coding for it in Ada
because it maintains an internal state that varies from invocation to
invocation.

The relevant paper can be downloaded from:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220055967_Generating_good_pseudo-random_numbers

Olwen