[SystemSafety] Software Repositories

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Fri Jul 10 16:12:58 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-10 11:14 , paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk wrote:

> If there was a body that would become the repository for very
> thoroughly inspected and tested software components that would have
> the reports of the voracity of such components stored together, we might
> stand a chance at pulling together systems that work well.
The idea of such a respository, and the organisation to put it together, as well as significant
resources put into it, goes back at least to the founding of Odyssey Research Associates by the
Cornell logician Dick Platek in the early 1980's.

The logician David Guattari worked for ORA for a long time, as I recall. The company became ORA
Canada and in Ottawa. Dan Craigen worked for them for a long time. They developed the Z/Eves system,
based on a theorem prover developed by Mark Saaltink. I visited them in Ottawa back in 1995.

ESA wanted to develop software for space uses as "building block" software, and some nearly 20 years
ago I was involved in the negotiations for the EU-supported ASSERT project to do that. Quite a lot
of renowned people involved, many of them in FM.

Progress towards the goal of a guaranteed-dependable SW library? Hard to see much, if any, in the
last almost-forty years.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
Styelfy Bleibgsnd