[SystemSafety] At least PBL is now talking to me again ...

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Sat Jul 11 11:18:16 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-10 23:04 , Olwen Morgan wrote:

> On 10/07/2020 20:20, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> You are way off the usual aeronautical safety ball.
> Sod the "aeronautical" safety ball. I believe, with due respect, that I'm not actually way off the
> common-or-garden safety ball.

Yes, well, aeronautical engineers are quite used to hubristical non-aeronautical-engineers coming
along and telling them they have it all wrong. Most of them no longer even bother to reply
"actually, we have it more or less right."

The proof of that lies before our eyes in this case. As I noted, Boeing knew all they needed to know
technically about the specific safety properties of MCAS in March 2016.

Lots of people besides yourself have suggested ways they could have identified MCAS issues. I see
that as pointless: they knew.

However, they assumed that the symptoms of the condition would be identified by the crew. This
assumption was right in the simulator and wrong in the real world. This phenomenon has been
highlighted in those terms by Michael.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
Styelfy Bleibgsnd