[SystemSafety] Correctness by Construction

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Jul 14 11:32:37 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-13 21:55 , Dewi Daniels wrote:

> In the context of “Correctness by Construction”, I would say that Correctness means “compliance with
> requirements”.

I deliberately avoided Michael's question as phrased. There is a phrase "Correct by Construction" or
CbyC. The subphrase "correct" is obviously not an applicative adjective. Consider the following
situation.

* suppose the client wants a system which protects against fires and explosions by initiating
countermeasures;
* suppose the developer has a specification which says "within 0.5 seconds, all flammable entities
should be ignited".

If we use your definition, it is possible to obtain a system which immediately sends the facility
sky-high, the complete opposite of what the client wants, but that is "correct". I think that is
anomalous.

I think it best to take "CbyC" as an atomic phrase.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
Styelfy Bleibgsnd