[SystemSafety] Fwd: Engineering X launches Safer Complex Systems research opportunity

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 12:36:27 CEST 2020

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Engineering X launches Safer Complex Systems research opportunity

As Chair of the Board for the Engineering X Safer Complex Systems
programme <https://comms.raeng.org.uk/4S2P-CP4M-P3U0D-9TB6I-1/c.aspx>, I
wanted to bring your attention to a call for evidence – in the form of
case studies – on complex systems and what causes them to succeed or to
fail. I hope you will give this opportunity your consideration and I
encourage you to share it with others in your diverse networks globally
who may be keen to share their knowledge and experience in this
important area.

You may know that Engineering X
<https://comms.raeng.org.uk/4S2P-CP4M-P3U0D-9T4O3-1/c.aspx> is a new
international collaboration, founded by the Royal Academy of Engineering
and Lloyd’s Register Foundation, that brings together some of the
world’s leading problem-solvers to address the great challenges of our
age. When I gave a presentation about the initiative at the Academy's
Fellows’ Day earlier this year, I was very encouraged by the enthusiasm
with which the programme’s mission was received.

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has demonstrated how the increasing
complexity and interconnectedness of the world we live in has made us
all more vulnerable to systemic shocks of this nature. A major global
challenge, therefore, is how to enhance safety and resilience in complex
systems, and to understand and deal with the root causes of systemic
failure in order to prevent or mitigate against future events with
similar potential to harm.

The Safer Complex Systems Call for Case Studies
<https://comms.raeng.org.uk/4S2P-CP4M-P3U0D-9T4O5-1/c.aspx> is calling
for research into the underlying causes of complex system failures or
successes (past, present or potential) presented in the form of
four-page case studies. We are looking particularly for principles and
methodologies that have potential wider application rather than detailed
sector or discipline examples. Our hope is that these case studies will
capture important lessons and good practice that, if shared widely, may
find application in new and different contexts and help ensure that
future complex systems are built with a greater level of resilience and
with the ability to withstand pandemics and other shocks on a similar
scale.

Case studies are welcome from industry and academia from around the
world and funding of up to £50,000 is available to support their
development. The deadline for submissions is *27 July 1pm BST (GMT+1)*.
More detailed information can be found on the Academy’s website
<https://comms.raeng.org.uk/4S2P-CP4M-P3U0D-9T4O5-1/c.aspx>.

Best wishes,

Dame Judith Hackitt DBE FREng

Royal Academy of Engineering - Registered Charity: 293074

Prince Philip House, 3 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5DG

Tel: 020 7766 0600