[SystemSafety] Accuracy of COVID modeling code

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Fri May 22 13:10:20 CEST 2020

On 5/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, "Olwen Morgan" <olwen at phaedsys.com> wrote:

>I agree that choice of algorithm is much more important than
>compiler optimisations. Indeed, a reliance on compiler optimisations is
>often, in my experience, a sign of underlying ignorance of relevant
>numerica algorithms. This is particularly visible when, using an iterative
>numerical method, one does not pay sufficient - or as is often the
>case absolutely no - attention to getting good starting values. Another
>mortal sin is to forget about strict error bounds. Chebyshev
>always insisted on them and he was one of the founders of modern
>approximation theory.
>
>And as regards summing numbers in ascending order of magnitude,
>yes, it is better than summing them in no particular order, but there
>still pitfalls for the unwary even when ascending order is used. The
>best short text on this is, IMHO:
>
>/Rounding Errors in Algebraic Processes/, J. H. Wilkinson, Dover
>Publications
>
>though it's hard to get hold of and can cost an arm and a leg even
>when you can find it.

I always found the book "Approximations for Digital Computers" by
C. H. Hastings a handy reference also. ISBN 0-691-07914-5

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.