[SystemSafety] Request for links to papers about software defect densities

David Crocker dcrocker at eschertech.com
Fri Nov 6 20:03:26 CET 2020

I published some date on defect rates discovered by weak static analysis
in ~4m lines of C++ code in the SCSC newsletter several years ago, but
it doesn't meet Martyn's criterion of being peer reviewed. I was not at
liberty to provide the source of the original data.

It's very hard to get figures for discovered defects in closed-source
code. One way that defect rate data might be generated is if proper
static analysis were applied to a large body of open-source software
that hasn't had full static analysis applied before, and the issues
identified examined to see whether they represented actual defects or
not (which is what I did in the study I published, except that the
static analysis was weak). Any ideas on who might fund such a project?

Cheers

David Crocker, Escher Technologies Ltd.
http://www.eschertech.com
Tel. +44 (0)20 8144 3265 or +44 (0)7977 211486