[SystemSafety] Request for links to papers about software defect densities

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 10:19:58 CET 2020

Steve,

> Along these same lines, does anyone have any reliable data on defect re-injection rates? Specifically, I remember hearing that on average for every 8 defects that are fixed, a new defect is injected as a result of that fix.
>
> Does anybody have a pointer to reliable data along these lines?

The source of all publicly available software engineering data :-)
http://www.knosof.co.uk/ESEUR/

Figure 6.6 (which in one of my pdf viewers is missing some red and blue circles).

The probability of reinjecting a new problem will depend on the complexity of
the fix.  Most fixes are short, see figure 6.35, but there are plenty of
complicated ones.

And then there is the input profile.  Without information on this any predictions
are likely to be worthless.

> Thanks,
>
> — steve
>

> From: systemsafety <systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>> on behalf of Martyn Thomas <martyn at 72f.org<mailto:martyn at 72f.org>>
> Date: Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 2:05 AM
> To: "systemsafety at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:systemsafety at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>" <systemsafety at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:systemsafety at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>>
> Subject: [SystemSafety] Request for links to papers about software defect densities
>

> Colleagues
>
> I would be grateful for links or references to peer-reviewed papers that contain experimental or empirical evidence about software defect densities. I know of work over 30 years ago and it would be useful to have data that is more recent.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give
>
> Martyn
>
> Martyn Thomas CBE FREng
> Emeritus Professor of IT and Fellow, Gresham College

Derek M. Jones           Evidence-based software engineering