[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Michael Holloway cmh at alumni.virginia.edu
Fri Nov 20 15:41:51 CET 2020

Only have the energy and interest to reply to one bit of PBL's response ...

> So you are suggesting that he is at least as confident that he won't die,
flying in a MAX, as he is
> that 2+2=4 ? Or should that confidence be relativised somehow?

I am saying that to the best of my knowledge, the most common intended
meaning of the phrase "100% confident" when used by a typical speaker in
the US is much closer to, "confident enough to stake my reputation and
life  on it," than it is to "certain beyond any and all doubt," or even to
"certain beyond a reasonable doubt." Personally, I abhor the use of any
phrase that appears to quantify confidence, but I see no benefit, and some
harm, in harping on such a usage, when the meaning is as generally well
understood as it is here.

*--Michael*

mercy > judgment
love > faith & hope