[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Fri Nov 20 16:58:22 CET 2020

Bev,

> I don’t know about US speakers of our (apparently) common language. But I think English English speakers - and readers - would regard “100% confident” to mean “certain”. It does not seem to me to be a “quantification of confidence”, as you put it, but a declaration of absence of doubt.

I am not aware of any research that investigates assigning probabilistic or
quantification words to probabilities.  However, there have been studies
investigating assigning probabilities to words and phrases.

See Figure 6.7 and 6.8, also figure 2.57 might be of interest.
pdf+data here: http://knosof.co.uk/ESEUR/

Does anybody know of studies investigating numbers to words?

--
Derek M. Jones           Evidence-based software engineering