[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Fri Nov 20 18:06:02 CET 2020

On 2020-11-20 15:09 , Olwen Morgan wrote:

> .. If I want computer-moderated aerodynamic instability, I'll fly in an Su-35.
> What the 737 MAX needs isn't revamped systems but a new airframe design.
The Boeing 737 MAX, like all commercial transport aircraft, is aerodynamically stable throughout the
flight envelope, and was at all stages of development, with or without STS and MCAS.

The "stability requirement" for which MCAS was introduced has to do with control system response.
Put simply, in all flight regimes, when the AoA steepens, there is to be increasing force on the
stick. 14 CFR 25.175 says that the "stick force curve" must have a "stable slope". But it didn't in
certain regimes. The force got lighter beyond a certain point as AoA increased beyond a certain
point; that is, the stick force curve went from positive slope to negative.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP