[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Olwen Morgan olwen at phaedsys.com
Sun Nov 22 15:49:19 CET 2020

<snip>

> This has not changed. (It could be fixed aerodynamically by installing
> a slightly bigger HS, but that means more drag and thus higher fuel
> usage. ...

<snip>

Safety vs economics? ... Never heard that one before!

I'm not going to argue about the number of definitions of stability that
could fit on a pinhead.

If you've a choice between getting the physics right or fighting it with
your control system, you should, IMHO, go for fixing the physics every
time. It was, IMHO, a fundamental blunder for Boeing to adopt MCAS as
the solution to their 737 MAX attitude problems (whether those problems
were technical or cultural). Moreover, I suspect that, given Boeing's
current less-than-entirely-rosy financial position (search the website
of /The Economist/ for further details) the FAA is likely to have been
under pressure to accede to demands not to require solution of the
problem in the physics.

Put bluntly, I don't trust the current US institutional framework for
aviation safety.

Olwen