[SystemSafety] "FAA chief '100% confident' of 737 MAX safety as flights to resume"

Kinalzyk, Dietmar AVL/DE Dietmar.Kinalzyk at avl.com
Mon Nov 30 20:36:34 CET 2020

Olwen
 I made a Problem based learning session with my students, that's why I studied the causes intensively.
MCAS was introduced to correct the nose up tendency of Boing 737 Max after lifting up the bigger engines (avoid hazard to stall). Bigger engines have less fuel consumption. This was necessary because Airbus did it before but without change of the relation of wings to engine.
Here is a demonstration video:
https://youtu.be/H2tuKiiznsY

If you want to read the Aircraft Accident Investigation Report of KOMITE NASIONAL KESELAMATAN TRANSPORTASI REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA, Boeing 737-8 (MAX); PK-LQP
Tanjung Karawang, West Java, Republic of Indonesia:
https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/JT610-PK-LQP-Final-Report.pdf

It is amazing how many causes are coming together to this disaster.

Best regards

Dietmar KINALZYK
Principal Development Engineer
Product Safety & NON-PT Safety