[SystemSafety] What do we know about software reliability?

Martyn Thomas martyn at 72f.org
Tue Sep 15 16:07:28 CEST 2020

Software in its operating environment does degrade over time.

  * What was fit for purpose one year no longer is the year following.
  * as vulnerabilities are discovered, shared and exploited, failure
    rates increase
  * as software is maintained to fix known errors, the fault density may
    steadily increase because the maintenance degrades the artchitecture
    and more defects are introduced. (I have seen this happen gradually
    to major software systems in my career).

The failure rates can be determined statistically within scientifically
sound confidence levels. To me, "reliability" carries the right message.
It may be an imperfect analogy but many words are.

Martyn