[SystemSafety] How far does insurance economic incentive push safety?

Eric Marsden eric.marsden at foncsi.org
Tue Apr 13 11:41:38 CEST 2021

Concerning these statistics on safety of maritime operations, I think
care is needed in interpreting a link with the role of insurance. The
NIOSH data concerns the "U.S. water transportation industry", so I
assume (I'm certainly not an expert on maritime safety) is concerned by
at least some safety regulation.

If you consider international maritime operations, where safety
regulations are weak, some large operators at least have quite
reasonable occupational safety records. For example Maersk suffered 3
employee fatalities (5 including contractors) in 2019 and 1 in 2020, for
84000 employees, a rate of 3.6 and 1.2 per 100000 workers. MSC suffered
1 fatal accident in 2019 for 70000 employees, a rate of 1.4. LTIF rates
for the two companies are around 1.2, similar to construction work in
many countries, which is generally heavily regulated.

Sources:
https://www.maersk.com/about/sustainability/reports
https://www.msc.com/bwa/sustainability

I'm not sure that it is easy to find data that can help establish this
link between presence/level of insurance coverage and safety (large
insurers and reinsurers presumably have some data available, but it's
sensitive). It would be possible, and I think interesting, to compare
the type of interactions that take place between regulators and
regulated entities, and the interactions between insurers and insured
companies. In particular because safety regulators in various sectors
are increasingly adopting "soft law" approaches as a complement to
traditional compliance-based enforcement.

Eric

--
Web: https://foncsi.org/
Twitter: @LaFonCSI / @TheFonCSI / @LearnRiskEng (personal)