[SystemSafety] Post Office Horizon System

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Mon Apr 26 21:04:13 CEST 2021

On 2021-04-26 20:26 , Steve Tockey wrote:

> ... But the question still remains in
> the general case: more and more software is being delivered which is leading to material harm to the
> general public—when will the developers and/or suppliers of such faulty software be held accountable
> and liable?

One possible outcome of the Horizon case is that the notion of strict liability for software is
being given a serious airing. The liability is not at the level of individuals but at the level of
the developing organisation.

It is going to be hard to relegate a subtle technical problem to the mercy of the courts, though.
Requirements specification is an unsolved engineering problem, and is likely to remain so for quite
a while (if not for ever). Software systems are often used outside of formal requirements.

So introduction of strict liability could lead to the situation in which developers communicate
formally over-strict requirements on the use of their product. Suppose someone uses that product
outside those formally over-strict requirements. Developer points the finger at user, and, with a
good legal department, wins in court.

Whereas the user might well have been using the system for its intellectually-intended purpose,
where it failed and caused harm. In circumstances in which there was not strict liability and
formally over-strict requirements, that might have led to a negotiation in which the developer
agreed to accept some responsibility for the harm caused.

I agree with your examples, of course, especially the one in which you quote me back at myself :-)

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP