[SystemSafety] New IET report

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Aug 5 20:32:35 CEST 2021

On 2021-08-05 17:08 , Derek M Jones wrote:
> Peter,
>
>> (4) develop a new standard for functional safety of programmable safety-related systems; and
>
> Why is a new standard needed?  The conclusion states the reason
> very clearly (i.e., the data is needed to apply the existing
> standards is not available).

Aha. "AI changes everything" -> "we need new standards". A very unimpressive argument.

NASA was flying aircraft -- very large aircraft, an MD-11, as well as military aircraft, the NF-15B
-- with real people on board, under FBW control of *dynamic* DLNNs, a quarter century ago.

The V&V for those flights did not say "AI changes everything; therefore our V&V doesn't apply; we
need new V&V". To the contrary, the analysis was carefully done to demonstrate V&V for these radical
systems according to NASA's then-current V&V standards. This is all well documented. You can
download the papers, and buy the books on Amazon.

There is no mention of any of this pioneering NASA work in the report.

A view more in line with the views of people I know working intensively on this matter (many or most
of whom were also ignorant of the NASA work) is that V&V criteria for "AI systems" can be built onto
existing functional safety standards. They may or may not be right, but in any case this approach
contradicts the IET-report claim.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP