[SystemSafety] Mercedes and Autonomous Driving

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Fri Dec 10 12:20:39 CET 2021

I read in my local newspaper this morning that Mercedes-Benz have got the worldwide first "type
certificate" for self-driving systems. It is called a "Drive Pilot"; it follows UN rule 157, and it
allows hands-free driving at a maximum of 69kph along "autobahn-similar roads". The article says
this covers quite a few Autobahnen, but I can't see how this can be -- the only 60kph limits on
Autobahnen are in narrow lanes past road works.

"Type certificate" means that the German road vehicle authority has issued a permit for its use on
German roads. It will be in the S-class Merc and the electric Pendant EQS.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany