[SystemSafety] Blog on Covid Matters

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Feb 23 21:28:06 CET 2021

I think the safety circumstances surrounding SARS-CoV-2 and Covid-19 dwarf anything I have had to
deal with in my career as a system safety person. Aircraft accidents are not significant when
compared with a year that has seen more American deaths through Covid-19 than in all wars in the
20th century.

I have been reading the medical-scientific and public-health literature for a year now, most of it
open-access in the public interest, and I have been writing on what I take to be important new
developments. But wishing to blow my own trumpet does require that I can play it, and it has taken
me a while. There are 22 published parts of my "Notes on Covid-19", and more to come, as well as
other essays, all on the SCSC Covid-19 WG page at https://scsc.uk/gv  SCSC is open access, but wants
you to register with them to read the material. I am a member, have given Keynotes as well as
regular papers for many years at their annual conference, called SSS but which I prefer to call
ScSS. ScSS to my mind is one of the top three conferences in system safety, because of its seamless
mix of academic and industrial contributions.

I haven't written in my blog in a year, for two reasons. One is that in Covid-19/public health
matters I am a neophyte and didn't want to be seen as yet another unqualified mouther-off. The other
is that I was writing my Notes as primary register and they were being published elsewhere.

Now is time to do both. I start with
https://abnormaldistribution.org/index.php/2021/02/23/covid-19-safety-critical-systems-club-activity-air-filtering/
I shall continue with the blog as well as the SCSC Covid-19 WG and hope we can continue to build the
new world of engineering for public health.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP