[SystemSafety] Faults in maths proofs

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Sun Jan 3 08:59:37 CET 2021

On 2021-01-02 22:12 , Roberto Bagnara wrote:

> Nonetheless, properly-said proofs created by programs can be presented
> as sequences of logical statements, each of which either is an axiom
> or can be obtained by means of an inference rule from statements
> occurring earlier in the sequence.

Not all proof checkers work with Hilbert-Bernays style axiomatics. The three I have worked with
don't -- the Shostack prover, TLA, and Knuth-Bendix rewrites.

> So a proof-checker is a much
> simpler program than a proof-creator:
Not necessarily. Decision procedures can work in arbitrarily complicated ways. Many if not most
proof checkers nowadays employ decision procedures for subtheories, I understand (for example,
varieties of Pressburger arithmetic).

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP