[SystemSafety] Analysis of some Work Breakdown Structure projects

Martyn Thomas martyn at 72f.org
Wed Jun 9 11:05:12 CEST 2021

On 08/06/2021 22:14, Derek M Jones wrote:
> Martyn,
>
>> I'd be interested in data on the defects injected and fixed.  How
>> many per KLOC, how variable between individuals, what
>
> Defect per KLOC is meaningless unless it is connected with usage
> data, e.g., there can be zero defects per KLOC (because the software
> has no users), or lots per KLOC because it has millions of users.

The datasets from http://arxiv.org/abs/2106.03679 that you analysed
contain defects injected and defects found later in development and
repaired. have you analysed those?

> I've never seen a breakdown by individual.  It's possible to do, when
> mining github (actually this is by user id, and there are cases of
> the same person having multiple ids), but again usage needs to be
> taken into account.

Again, the http://arxiv.org/abs/2106.03679 data seems to show
individuals. The Watts Humphrey study below does that too.

>> There was data of this sort from the SEI 30 years ago and some from
>> UK MoD, and some reports by the CHAOS group twenty years ago but
>> nothing I know of recently.

The SEI data I referred to was from a study carried out by Watts
Humphrey, of the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie-Mellon
University, analysed the fault density of more than 8000 programs
written by 810 industrial software developers.
resources.sei.cmu.edu/asset_files/SpecialReport/2009_003_001_15035.pdf p132

> UK MoD?  This does not ring any bells for me.  Do you have a reference,

My reference was to the analysis of Boeing flight control software
published in Crosstalk

 5.

    German, A.: Software static code analysis lessons learned. Crosstalk
    16(11) (2003)

and to the review of the Full Authority Digital Engine Controller that
was installed in Chinook helicopters; which is described in a House of
Commons report into the Mull of Kintyre Chinook accident on 2 June 1994
. This said:/In the summer of 1993 an independent defence IT contractor,
EDS-SCICON, was instructed to review the FADEC software; after examining
only 18 per cent of the code they found 486 anomalies and stopped the
review/.

Martyn