[SystemSafety] Analysis of some Work Breakdown Structure projects

Roderick Chapman rod at proteancode.com
Wed Jun 9 19:52:13 CEST 2021

On 09/06/2021 10:05, Martyn Thomas wrote:
> The SEI data I referred to was from a study carried out by Watts
> Humphrey, of the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie-Mellon
> University, analysed the fault density of more than 8000 programs
> written by 810 industrial software developers.
> resources.sei.cmu.edu/asset_files/SpecialReport/2009_003_001_15035.pdf
> p132

That's the data from the original version of the PSP training course.
The course involves writing 10 small-ish programs, hence "over 8000"
programs for 810 developers.

I took the later version of the course (only 8 programs, so people could
go home early on the Fridays...) in 2004.

SEI has all the data for those people, but I'm not sure if it's
significant, since it's just for individual people writing relatively
small programs, so no scale or team effects.

I asked Watts if they'd mine and publish the data-set, but SEI were
never inclined to do so... one of the things about PSP is that
individuals' personal data stays that way. I have data for about 12
people (I was the Instructor after all) taking the course at Altran UK
in about 2010/11.

One good piece of news: the PSP training material is now freely
available, so you can try it all yourself if you feel inclined.

All the best,

  Rod