[SystemSafety] 1. View of Computer Reliability in the Law (English and US) and 2. Argumentation

Grazebrook, Alvery alvery.grazebrook at airbus.com
Mon Jun 28 10:40:12 CEST 2021

Hi Peter,

The first link didn't come through correctly - looks like a double '-' in
the middle. The working link is
https://www.lawfareblog.com/dangers-posed-evidentiary-softwareand-what-do-about-it
Very interesting, and worrying.

Cheers,

Alvery

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 09:18, Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin at causalis.com>
wrote:

> Susan Landau has published an article in the Lawfare blog about attitudes
> of English and US courts
> towards the evidence generated by, or about the behaviour of, computers in
> cases they consider.
>
> https://www.lawfareblog.com/dangers-posed-evidentiary-software
> —and-what-do-about-it
>
> She refers to Paul Marshall's masterful account to the University of Law
> of the PO Horizon affair
>
> https://www.postofficetrial.com/2021/06/marshall-spells-it-out-speech-to.html
>
> Susan also singles out Paul's observation that ".... writing on a bit of
> paper in evidence is only
> marks on a piece of paper until first, someone explains what it means and,
> second, if it is a
> statement of fact, someone proves the truth of that fact."  This applies
> strongly also to arguments
> presented in assurance cases for safety-critical systems.
>
> Rather than say more here, I refer to my blog post
>
> https://abnormaldistribution.org/index.php/2021/06/27/computer-reliability-in-legal-arguments-with-some-observations-about-arguments/
>

> PBL
>
> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
> ClaireTheWhiteRabbit RIP
> Tel+msg +49 (0)521 880 7319  www.rvs-bi.de

This email and its attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If you have received them in error you must not use, copy or disclose their content to any person.  Please notify the sender immediately and then delete this email from your system.  This e-mail has been scanned for viruses, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to conduct their own security measures. Airbus Operations Limited is not liable for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this e-mail.

Airbus Operations Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, registration number, 3468788.  Registered office:  Pegasus House, Aerospace Avenue, Filton, Bristol, BS34 7PA, UK.