[SystemSafety] State of Things

Michael Holloway cmh at alumni.virginia.edu
Thu Dec 8 17:51:11 CET 2022

Peter & everyone else,

I concur in the judgement to shut down the list, but I write separately
because my opinion on the state of things differs a bit from Peter's.
Specifically, I think quite a few years have passed since this list
consistently saw anything resembling legitimate debates. As GK Chesterton
famously wrote, "People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." For
at least 15 years there have been far more quarrels on this list than good
arguments. The occasional vigorous debates have often been overshadowed by
the more frequent instances of talking past one another, spewing marketing
pitches, making thinly veiled (if veiled at all) abusive ad hominem
attacks, and generally disagreeing disagreeably*. I believe the list is
rarely used because of *that* specific state of things, not because of a
more general lack of desire for true debate. Nevertheless, I agree that
shutting the list down is the best course of action.

Kind regards,
cMh

* To my shame, I've done a bit of that stuff myself occasionally. Well,
never marketing pitches. I have never stooped that low. :-)

C. Michael Holloway
Safety-Critical Avionics Systems Branch
NASA Langley Research Center since 1983
https://go.nasa.gov/2QxruhD <https://shemesh.larc.nasa.gov/people/cmh/>