[SystemSafety] AI in self-driving cars? What are they thinking?

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Feb 3 14:53:04 CET 2022

One thing which it only now occurs to me to mention is differing national tolerance for road
fatalities. Britain had a population of 67.22m and 1460 road fatalities in 2020; Germany 83.24m and
2724 fatalities, and the US 329.5m and 38,680 fatalities.

That comes to about 1 death per 46K people in GB, 1 per 30K in D, and 1 per 8.5K in USA. The rate in
the US is thus 5.7 times that in the UK, and 3.5 times that in D.

I do think that makes a difference, just as we have learnt that there are large differences between
these countries in the way they deal with Covid-19. But I don't know what difference.

If GB had the rate of the US, there would be 8000 road deaths per year. And that is with seat belts
and airbags. There have never been that in GB except in 1941, with just over 9,000, although 1966
came close with just under 8,000. Notice that seat belt wearing only became mandatory in 1983.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany