[SystemSafety] IEEE USA CTAP - Committee for Transportation and Aerospace Policy

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Fri Feb 18 11:02:46 CET 2022

Folks,

Walter Rawle chairs the above mentioned committee, which advises the US government and other
stakeholders, I take it similarly to what IET Policy Panels try to do in the UK. He requested to be
put on the list and is now on.

I understand CTAP is drafting a Policy Statement on "Developing an Intelligent Regulatory Framework
to Facilitate Safe Deployment of Automated Driving Systems". Main author is Steven Shladover, of the
California PATH program at UC Berkeley.

I am sure there are people on this list who are interested; indeed who are actively working on
similar projects, such as IEC TS 5469. I have names in mind but of course it is up to you to
introduce yourselves and your interests.

I do note that, while the list has been moderately dormant recently, the broader discussions we have
had all involve autonomy. There is no doubt that it is currently a massive issue for policy and
standardisation.

I do note that many people now concerning themselves with autonomy are still unaware of what NASA
did in the 1990's with the Propulsion Controlled Aircraft project (an MD-11) and the Intelligent
Flight Control Systems project (an F-15). Some are even unaware of the DARPA Grand Challenge and
Urban Challenge competitions. I wrote a paper back in April on functional safety of systems
involving "AI" subsystems, which for most people nowadays means machine-learning systems such as
DLNNs. I have shared it with some (for example, the German 5469 working group, of which I am
nominally a member and to which I gave a talk on it). I've been meaning to send it to the SCSC
eJournal for consideration, but I can't currently stand the thought of working yet another document
into someone else's format (I seem to myself to have been doing little else for months, although
that is literally not true). I'll put it on my Cloud account and share a link.

Thanks to Eric Burger for facilitating the introduction to Walter and IEEE CTAP.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany