[SystemSafety] Current Affairs in Standardisation

Andrew Banks andrew at andrewbanks.com
Thu Jan 13 10:06:17 CET 2022

Thanks Peter

A couple of comments:

"{IEC TR 63069} is the only IEC document I know which has been replaced in
one of the big standardisation nations, namely GB, with a "local" version,
published by the IET with the collaboration of NCSC, within a year of
publication. If that isn't a clear statement of unsatisfactoriness, I don't
know what is."

As a contributor to that IET work, I don't even recall IEC TR 63069 even
being mentioned in the WG... there are others on this mailing list who may
have a better recollection!

"The hot new theme is of course AI, meaning machine learning, meaning DLNNs.
There is an IEC working group on functional safety and AI, which is coming
up with a Tech Report 5469."

I'm not involved with SC42, so cannot comment on how close ISO/IEC TR 5469
is to publication, but related work within both ISO TC22/SC32 (Road
Vehicles) and ISO/TC215 (Health Informatics) has commenced, which uses 5469
as an input... in fact, during the NWI ballot at SC32 the UK requested a one
year delay to allow SC42 to publish before the 26262 crew got too excited
and headed off on their own path (again). We were unsuccessful in our
request.

But thanks for the update
Andrew