[SystemSafety] Risk .... again

Fenn, Jane (UK) jane.fenn at baesystems.com
Tue Oct 4 21:13:36 CEST 2022

This email may contain proprietary information of BAE Systems and/or third parties.

Having had a partner who was a Forensic Psychologist, working in the prison service, rehabilitating convicted sex offenders, I take more store by his point of view which was that most were 'treatable' and only a tiny minority represented what the tabloid press would call 'pure evil' and beyond hope.

The attitude that 'men can never change' is precisely the excuse most people, (not just men), use to not even bothering to try - 'boys will be boys'.  They said the same thing in the past about societal acceptance of drunk driving, wearing a seatbelt and smoking, but look where we are now.  The public largely accepting of laws and actively supporting their enforcement.  No, we haven't 100% stopped drunk driving, but this risk of encountering a drunk driver is perceived to have gone down.  (Quite frankly, I don't have time to research the actual rates and it's often the perception of risk that is more restricting on quality of life than the actual figures).

Although I find your quote utterly patronising, and, I suspect, intentionally so.... but for the benefit of the rest of the people on the list, women are doing a huge amount already, whether you are aware of it or not, but it is predominantly men that need to apply the peer pressure needed for cultural change.  Men that need to pull their friends up when they make sexist comments or touch women inappropriately, etc, etc, in scenarios and environments to which we have no access.

Jane