[SystemSafety] IEC 61508 Committee Draft of Edition 3 published

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Wed Oct 5 13:18:20 CEST 2022

On 2022-10-05 10:39 , Derek M Jones wrote:

>> [PBL] Fair enough. Your view is daft. That is why it is not widely shared.
>
> The view is not widely shared because it is not in
> the economic interests of those involved to express
> that they are doing involves an element of smoke and
> mirrors
So let's get this straight. Might as well, because there are people on this list who might not have
the background.

In 1981 a very large and involved book was published by Barry Boehm, SW head of TRW, about TRW's
experience with costs of SW, including plenty of statistical evaluation, because that is how you
derive costs in such a company. And how TRW had been evaluating their costs for the previous quarter
century of bidding on large SW contracts, often for USG.

Contract software development companies such as TRW and IBM collect numbers assiduously and have
done since the 1960's. They have far more of them than anyone can evaluate and use, but they are
there. Mostly they are proprietary, because they are used (in TRW's case) for designing bids for
contracts.

Edward Adams published an evaluation of IBM's most-used SW program (a facility configuration program
for clients) and its reliability, and the phenomenology of its failures, suitably redacted for
non-IBMers, in 1984.

There are most definitely economic interests involved. But those interests lead towards accurate
evaluation of resources and costs, rather than "smoke and mirrors". Just as insurance companies need
actuaries, it is a necessary part of the business model of any medium-size to large contract
software development company to accurately evaluate their own work.

Watts Humphrey published a lot of studies for SEI in the 1980's through the 2000's, collected
together by SEI in 2009. I don't know what "economic interests" might have induced him to engage in
"smoke and mirrors". But it is surely interesting that nobody has noticed that smoke and mirrors to
date. Besides, speaking of "economic interests" when someone is working at a USG-funded organisation
(a government employee at one remove) is pretty wide of the mark. There is lots of such work for
which your comment makes no sense at all.

When you work at a software engineering research institute, as I did in the mid-late-1980's, this
amounts to the background knowledge that everyone has.

That said, there are indeed lots of people around who want to make dubious claims about how good
their kit is and embellish their story with numbers. In every area of science and engineering there
are the fakes and the embellishers. It's good that there are people like Elizabeth Bix to catch them
out. There is indeed lots of dubious work around for you to criticise, if you are so inclined. But
there are oceans between the sort of detailed work Bix does and your trivial comments.

Saying everybody who evaluates SW statistically is an economically-motivated smoke-and-mirrors faker
is not only daft. It also insults a number on this list who successfully work in the subject. You
really don't have any grounds to go around insulting better established scientists. You need to up
your game.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany