[SystemSafety] Omitting future considerations from safety cases

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Wed Sep 28 10:47:15 CEST 2022

On 2022-09-28 00:00 , Daniel Grivicic wrote:

> I seek your advice on being silent on future system capabilities within a safety case.
A safety case is presaged in any case on the functionality of the system. A safety case for the use
of Concorde as a passenger transport aircraft is obviously different from a safety case for a
Concorde as an exhibit in the main hangar for visitors to IWM Duxford. (The latter, BTW, is not
completely trivial, but it is not usually called a "safety case", and it is usually performed by an
insurance assessor.)

So there has to be some way of listing functions and the environments in which those functions are
executed, as well as transitions between those environments and so on, on which the safety case is
presaged. That list may be smaller or larger, as desired (by somebody). But it surely should be
specified in some way.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany