[SystemSafety] Risk .... again

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Thu Sep 29 17:29:25 CEST 2022

Bernard
I feel your pain. I empathize but encourage you to crack on. You are a good
soldier for the cause.
I’ve had my own problems explaining risk to none other than the sisterhood.
A while ago a young woman - a SCEGGS girl - went to a party and got legless
drunk.
SCEGGS is an exclusive girls high school based in Darlinghurst Sydney. My
mother was a SCEGGS girl in the 1920s.
All the boys at the party were students at exclusive Sydney boys schools. One
of them decided to have sex with this unfortunate young woman when she was not
in a state to reject or except him. She may not even have been conscious.
Another boy filmed the encounter and the video appeared on the web.
I know. Jesus wept.
Time passed and I could not walk past this story. My mother was a SCEGGS girl
for Christ sake and I have three daughters.
So I composed a 4000 word email  on risk management to the headmistress of
SCEGGS.
The skinny was as follows:
1.Young women have no control over the actions of male animals who feel
entitled to hurt them. They do not have the muscle mass to stop them.
2.They do have control over who they associate with, where they go, how much
they drink, how they dress, and so on. The issue is risk assessment and risk
reduction by having two wines and leaving the party if you’re concerned about
the rough trade leering at you.
3.Conclusion: young women should be taught risk management as a subject at
school.
I was about to deliver a keynote at a Safety-Critical Systems Club conference
in Sydney so I volunteered to visit SCEGGS and meet with the head mistress to
further explain.
The response was – crickets.
At the conference I told the story and asked for volunteers to visit SCEGGS
should they change their minds as I am not a Sydney resident. One lady
volunteered. Nothing came of it.
But there’s more.
Proud of my attempt to protect young women I related the story to one of my
daughters. A few sentences into the narrative she stood up and screamed at me
for “victim blaming”. I’m still trying to recover my relationship with that
young woman. Since that horrible experience I have noticed exactly the same
response from many intelligent (but risk illiterate) women who I have had the
stupidity to engage in discussion on women’s issues. The almost universal
response from the ladies is hand wringing. The narrative  is invariably: “A
woman should be able to go anywhere she likes, dress anyway she wants and
drink as much as she likes”. Followed by, “These misogynous pigs should be
trained to respect women”. If the lady hasn’t left the room and the screaming
is only moderate I try to express furious agreement with these sentiments but
with the caveat that lectures on how boys should be trained will not protect
her daughter at the party she is attending this evening. Risk management will.
I note that there was no such reaction from the many professional women in the
room at the Safety-Critical Systems Club conference. Card-carrying risk
managers all.

>From all this I conclude that:
1.It takes significant training hours to produce a person who understands and
values risk and risk management techniques. Even more to motivate them to
actually use the techniques. It often takes blood. Contrast the professional
women at the conference with the ladies in the wild.
2.The standards wonks are  therefore wasting their time redefining risk, it’s
a simple concept but hard enough to explain as it is. Let us leave its
definition alone and concentrate the substantial intellectual energy penned up
in these working groups to designing pathways to educate civilians on what it
really means together with how to implement effective risk management.

As for me, I refuse to give up. It does my head in to contemplate all the
young women who will be abused tonight for lack of a simple element of
education. If anyone on the list has ideas I’d love to hear them. I have
considered stealth. Get my 4000 words published under a female Pseudonym. My
working theory is that women just don’t want to hear suggestions from blokes.
Hope I’m wrong.

Back to your pain Bernard. In extremis there’s always the Rudyard Kipling
option.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s planes
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
And go to your gawd like a soldier

Cheers
Les

> ISO and IEC have finally determined that there is an issue with figuring out
what people mean when
> they use the term "risk" technically. They have convened a "joint task
force" to try to sort it out
> https://www.iec.ch/ords/f?
p=103:85:612946702359029::::FSP_ORG_ID,FSP_LANG_ID:28611,25. I am
> sceptical they will come up with a good solution, because candidates for
such WGs are self-selecting
> (the actual members of the JTF nominated by the National Committees are not
shown. More to the
> point, I know some of them :-( ).
>
> They might improve the outcome if the JTF included by invitation at least
some internationally
> acknowledged experts with well-regarded publications on the subject.
>
> But, whatever. There are little things we plebs can do. Here's a picture
caption from a piece in The
> Guardian today: "Adults who took part in ‘regular’ weightlifting were
found to have a 14% lower risk
> of death."
>
> Source:
> https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/sep/27/exercise-with-weights-
linked-to-lower-risk-of-early-death-study-says

--

Les Chambers

les at chambers.com.au

+61 (0)412 648 992