[SystemSafety] Risk .... again

Fenn, Jane (UK) jane.fenn at baesystems.com
Thu Sep 29 18:28:50 CEST 2022

This email may contain proprietary information of BAE Systems and/or third parties.

Hi

What Phil said.....

I sometimes think that 'ladies of a certain age', of which I consider myself one, particularly those living in the North of England in the era of the Yorkshire Ripper, have been subconsciously taught risk management from a very young age.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be furious when judges make comments to reduce the 'blame' attributed to men for sexual violence against women because they claim it was the victims own fault for being in the wrong place/wearing the wrong clothes/drinking too much/forgetting to lock a door/being unconscious/being asleep.  Even in the last year or so there was a US judge who decided it was more important that a young man did not get a criminal record, which would damage his career prospects, over a tiny little rape of a woman at a party who the judge felt has not adequately protected herself or reduced her risk sufficiently low, according to his way of thinking.

So, yes, the world is still very heavily biased towards fixing the symptom and not the cause.  What you saw at SCSC, Les, was likely a lot of women totally despondent that men will ever understand......women have been expected to fix the symptom....insufficient people are trying to fix the cause!

Being a safety engineer, I do both, but get might p**sed off at the limitations it places on my freedom, such as going out at night on my own.  We deserve to be angry about that.....

Jane