[SystemSafety] Elephants, dinosaurs and integrating the VLA model

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Thu Aug 3 06:13:48 CEST 2023

On 2023-08-03 02:32 , Les Chambers wrote:

> Can anyone on this list refer me to where in the standards one can obtain
> guidance on how to engineer such a system safely?

That seems to be a question with a completely obvious answer.

Martyn already observed on 2023-06-27 that there are legal requirements which constrain deployment
of safety-related systems. That legal requirement in the UK and Australia is 77 years old. Your
question seems to be suggesting that you somehow think it, and other constraints, might no longer
apply. Well, they do. As Martyn said "AI doesn't change that."

In the UK or Australia, developer and deployer must reduce risks ALARP.

How do you go about engineering any system such that risks are reduced ALARP, say in the UK? You
follow sector-specific functional safety standards if there are some, as well as the engineering
functional safety standard for E/E/PE systems, which is IEC 61508. This approach is regarded by the
regulator, at least in the UK, as appropriate to fulfill the ALARP requirement (although of course
the courts are the final arbiters of that).

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany