[SystemSafety] Elephants, dinosaurs and integrating the VLA model

Prof. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at techfak.de
Fri Aug 4 09:33:57 CEST 2023

On 2023-08-04 07:37 , Steve Tockey wrote:
> ... the Elaine Herzberg case. .... It never needed to have happened in the first place. There was never any trade-off to be made here.

It has been pointed out that Herzberg would likely have been detected by the original Volvo
object-detection system implemented in the vehicle before it was modified by Uber. This system was
reportedly disabled by Uber in favor of its own design.

I agree with Steve that any high-level hazard analysis of the Uber design should have flagged up the
issue of de-reifying unclassified objects. A hazard and risk analysis (HRA) is required in any ISO
or IEC standard which has safety aspects; this requirement is specified in ISO/IEC Guide 51, where
it is also specified what an HRA is and what the terms mean.

Both ISO 26262 and IEC 61508 necessarily conform to the Guide 51 requirement: both require HRAs, not
only of the high-level system design but also at subsystem level. There is thus an argument that the
Uber design did not conform with ISO 26262.

(I've indicated that I don't see where Les is going, but the reasoning above refutes any suggestion
that existing standards don't have that kind of activity covered.)

The issue of ineffective HRA is one to which some of us have devoted part of our working lives.
Prominent instances are the Tempe fatal accident, the Boeing 737 MAX accidents, and the UK RAF
Nimrod accident.

The Haddon-Cave inquiry into Nimrod underlined the box-checking nature of the performed safety case
and its failure to flag the dangers of the design of the refueling system, obvious even to the
non-engineer Haddon-Cave.

HazAn for commercial aircraft systems is explicitly required by 14 CFR §25.1309(d). The
Congressional inquiry into the Boeing 737 MAX development noted that the original MCAS design was
for one iteration and limited activation time/travel/rate of the STS. It was this design on which
the HazAn was performed. (I would still query whether this original analysis was right, but that's
another story.) The MCAS design was modified to extend activation time and travel and rate and it
was determined by Boeing that the HazAn did not need to be repeated. The MCAS on the production
aircraft, though, allowed repeated activations. No HazAn had been performed on
MCAS-with-repeated-activation. I am still flabbergasted that the aircraft had been certified with no
valid HazAn of the implemented system.

PBL

Prof. i.R. Dr. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany